- Look for a pattern. Can you recreate what just happened?
- Look in the server.log (and output.log for Weblogic). Do you see any strange error messages? (I will post a future blog entry for troubleshooting log messages)
- If the problem appears to be with workflows, turn on workflow logging and look at every workflow that fires. Many workflows call other workflows, so this could take a few iterations.
- Are the issues related to performance? If you have access to a DBA, ask them to help identify the long running SQL queries and run and explain plan. Look at my posting about analyzing long running SQL queries.
- If the issues are related to specific records in the database, use TOAD (or a similar tool) to compare good records with bad records in both the T_BONAME table and IBS_SPEC table. Are there any inconsistencies between good and bad records?
- Are objects stuck in a "bad" state? Use TOAD to be sure the sys_objectstate in the T_BONAME table and object_state in the IBS_SPEC table - be sure these match. These field can be updated to put the object into a valid state.
- Are fields not getting filled out by workflow as expected? Check the field length of the desination fields to be sure you're not trying to push 150 characters into a 100 character field
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Okay...something is acting weird. A field does not display correctly, the app stops working correctly, a workflow says its doing one thing but it looks like it's doing something else. What do you do to troubleshoot the problem? Here are some suggestions: